Sunday, March 9, 2014

Calming the thoughts

What do you do to ease your mind and relax? I am a huge reader and love to listen to music.  Whenever I need to quiet my mind from all the fun of IF, I grab a book (or my Kindle!) and clear my mind.  It's a wonderful escape from real life for me, and I always emerge with more positive thoughts and a happier mindset.

Music is my other calming device.  When we had our first IVF, I brought my iPod along and listened to a random smattering of music. Obviously I only put music I like on my iPod, but the mixture was rather eclectic, and at times, a bit much for trying to stay chill while laying on the hospital bed.  For our 2nd IVF, B and I sat down and compiled a list of songs we both enjoyed and created our "Baby Love" play list.  I listened to this play list while I waited for my retrieval and transfer, as well as afterwards, to keep my mind focused.

Since we have been focusing on other areas of life in the last year after our loss, I decided that I didn't just want to listen to my playlist only at the hospital.  I've since incorporated it into my every day life.  Every night I turn my play list on, and fall asleep to the music that means so much to B and I.  Some of the songs have obvious meaning for the list, like our wedding song, "Crazy Love."  Other songs have silly meanings, like "Closing Time," which actually has several memories attached to it (including us rolling with laughter in "Friends with Benefits").  We have our personal band favorites, like Pearl Jam and DMB (of course!), and some newer to us favorites, like Joshua Radin (I absolutely adore him and do not understand the lack of popularity with his music!).

The list is slightly changed from our 2nd attempt, but it is finely honed into a wonderful music experience that truly calms me and brings consistent smiles to my face every night as I drift off to sleep.  I imagine this play list will continue to grow, and hopefully, one day soon, will be instrumental in the birth and subsequent life of our future child(ren).

So what do you do to calm yourself? How do you relax and chase away the IF blues?

One of my fav cd's:

No comments:

Post a Comment